Thursday, January 5, 2012

When I grow up...

I have got to stop tell my kids that I want to have no kids when I grow up. I'm really going to give them a complex. I mean now I'll say something like, "You know what I want?" and my kids will reply, "No kids when you grow up." Some parts of me are totally joking and then...well, I am a little bit looking forward to not have them under my care for the rest of my life.

Here's the thing: I became a mom—a single mom—at 19 years old and then a mom twice over at 21. Ryan was a young dad too. We made our kids are world and they still are. I love being a mom. I love taking care of my kids. I love all the little things and the big things about being a mom and most days the work involved doesn't bother me.

I know my kids have a great education at the school they attend so driving them to school everyday is the part I play  as well as homework, projects and volunteering. I know that my kids building relationships with other peers is an important part of their development and so sleepovers and play dates are part of our lives. I know my kids will grow bigger and stronger when I feed them healthy food so I make most of our meals to insure they have a healthy diet. I know that giving my kids chores will help them be productive in life so I follow them around and make sure they do everything.

The truth is I do look forward to my kids growing up. One of the benefits to being a young mom is that I will be done (as done as you can be) raising my kids when I'm still young enough to enjoy it. I know a lot of people do it the other way around, enjoying their youth then having a family, but I've never really been like a lot of people. I kind of like it this way. I'll still be young enough to play and financially strong enough to do the fun things I want to do.

So when I grow up (or rather my kids do), I want to travel. I want to take vacations that do not revolve around whether or not the hotel has a pool (an indoor pool at that). I want to explore, hike mountains and see the world and not worry about having enough sunscreen, water and snacks (and knowing where the closest bathroom is). I want to go try fancy restaurants that I would never take the kids because who want to pay $10 for mac n cheese just because its gourmet (and the kids wouldn't eat it because they used "weird" cheese anyway). I want to come home at the end of the day, have a glass of wine and laugh and talk with my hubby till we realize we're hungry and then just go out to eat, or shop at the organic market and buy just we want to eat for just that night.

Until then,  I will go to the hotels that are kid friendly. I will explore with a backpack full of snack, water and sunscreen. I'll always know where all the bathrooms are. I will eat out rarely and pick places that are fun for the whole family. I plan dinners in advance and make sure they are healthy and most of the family will like it.

Most of all, I will enjoy this time and savor it. I will remember there will come a day when my holiday is about my kids' families and I will be the extended family. I will have fun dates with my kids and crazy conversations. I will enjoy nights when dinner is the crock pot so we all lay on my bed and watch "Super Nanny" (feeling very grateful the whole time my kids are not terrors). I will stop telling my kids "When I grow up..." (even though I'm mostly joking) and I will enjoy today.

Out with the Kids exploring Bishop's Castle this fall.

Gotta love the kid who has to be in the shot ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment