Saturday, January 28, 2012

Walking...

Last Saturday, our family had the pleasure of going to the first cul de sac get together. This street hasn't done one in probably ten years. Our neighbors hosted it and it was fun to meet several other families on the street. We finally met the parents of a little girl with whom my girls have been playing for years and both families joked that we were glad there were actually parents (I was starting to wonder).

Then after the party, I got a chance to chat with the host a bit and she asked if I wanted to join her walking at 5:30 in the morning during the week. She has about an hour before she has to get ready for work and get her daughter off to school. Anyone who knows me, knows I am a morning person and without blinking I said, "I'd love to." We exchanged numbers and then I got home, thought about it for a minute and realized waking up at 5:30 every morning is one thing, but go outside in the cold and walking...what was I thinking. However, I got up Monday morning and texted her see if we were still on to walk and she replied that she was getting dressed. That was it. I was going to be walking outside in my neighborhood at 5:30 in the morning when it is only 17˚ outside. I have completely lost my mind.

Then I thought back to my goals for 2012. I want to walk/jog/run 30 miles every 30 days. This would definitely keep me on track. I would actually get over 50 miles every 30 days without even getting to the gym...AND walking outside is so much better than just jogging on a treadmill. So many more muscles are engaged while walking outside.

So there you have it...I've been getting up at 5:30 every morning for a week now and walking just over 2 1/2 miles. I hope to keep this walking buddy as I get healthier this year. I have been using a fun app called RunKeeper to track my miles and calories. It has been fun to see the numbers add up. So far this is what I've accomplished this year. I might not hit 30 miles in January but I'm off to a great start!


6
Total Activities
17.8
Total mi
1,458
Total Calories



No comments:

Post a Comment