Thursday, January 26, 2012

What IS my job?

So I'm sure you have all received one of those forwarded emails we all love that have the job description of a mom. The email says taxi driver and personal chef and maid and personal shopper and on and on and on. If you ever catch daytime TV talk show, there is always some expert that says it would take a six figure income to replace a mom if you had to pay someone to do all the things a mom does...not that you could actually pay someone to do everything I do.

Already 2012 has been busy with all the mom things. I have had to help with a science project to include shopping for the supplies. I have had to check homework. I have had to set up a new lap top so kids could do homework (which took way longer than I thought it would). I have to run kids to and from school and to and from school, three different school, different start times and different parts of town. I have had to run to school to drop off lunch money. I have to take kids to appointments, plus make those appointments. I have helped with school activities and functions and dropped off donations and volunteered. I have shown up to hear presentations and stopped by the library for the book fair. I have done hair and found costume pieces for Renaissance day and ran downstairs to see a fort of blankets.


Curling hair for Renaissance Day


Prepping material for Science Fair project
Fort in my basement...I don't want to know how they got it to stick!

I love being a mom. I love serving my kids. I love making food that excites them. I love showing up at school to volunteer and get the reward of a huge hug just for being there. I love taking kids to school and playing the punch bug game, trying to guess the radio morning show's brain buster, and listening to kid conversations. I love stopping by the school and talking to the staff. I love being a mom.

Right now I find myself as a cook, taxi, homework checker, check writer, technology support and shopper. Mom just doesn't seem like a "big" enough title. I am investing so much into my kids and some days, that investment just doesn't pay a good return. I have blogged a lot about being "out of focus" and really coming to grips with that and being okay with it. I have been learning to be "good" with just being a mom right now and when I look at all the jobs I do as a mom, I am quite sure being a mom is more than enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment