Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Jr. High...I'm so not ready to have a kid in Jr. High.


Megan is my sweetheart and I mean that in the best, best, best of ways. She is all smiles and giggles all the time. In fact, many friends and family members joke with her about her giggle. In fact, it's one of the first things I remember about her and one of her "firsts" that I missed.

I was a young single mom working full time. I found an amazing child care provider, Miss Barb, who has truly become one of the family. One day when I was working, Megan was in Miss Barb's arms and looked up to discover the ceiling fan and out popped a giggle. When I came to pick her up that day, Miss Barb was glowing and excited to tell me about this girl's giggle. She said it was the sweetest thing she had ever heard. Of course I was overjoyed that she laughed and then the mommy ping jumped in and I was sad I missed it. So what did I do? I ran home, turned on the ceiling fan and stood under it for Megan to see...and then I heard it too. She had a giggle that truly would make the whole room light up.

Her laugh never changed. It is always this perfect giggle that can filled a room. She can make a whole room laugh when she laughs. Her best friends dad calls her giggles and makes it his personal past time to get her to giggle often. I really do believe if you are having a bad day, all you need to do is make Megan giggle and you'll start laughing too.

So back to her being in Jr. High, I'm not too worried because I know she'll laugh and the whole world will laugh with her. I know she's strong because she's been through a lot and never lost her laugh. I know she's smart her A's and B's on her report card add confirmation to that. But I'm a mom and it's my job to worry.

I love that she was really honest with me about Jr. High a couple weeks ago. She cried a little and told me about what she was nervous. I told her I had the very same experience on a couch with my mom many years ago and of course her dad had to add that I was old. Dad shared his fears before Jr. High and then we both shared some good things. She seemed OK in the end but I knew she would just have to experience it for herself.

Then last week, I was talking with a mom who had done this a time or two before at the same school and she gave me some pointers. I talked with Megan and we both agreed that I was not going to drop her at the door but that I would walk with her inside. She didn't have to be all grown up just yet. The first couple of days for 7th graders are called boot camp. They help them a lot, but Megan wanted me to help her. So I helped her deliver supplies, find her locker, get her backpack into her locker, find her schedule and find the room she was to go. Then I went to go help the parent volunteers. I ran around and took pictures to capture the day for the yearbook and the 7th grade hall. I tried to give her space so she could do this on her own, though she seemed to want me there. I left the school as she was going to lunch and I was happy to see her giggling.

I may not be ready to hear the school counselor talk to the girls about boys. I may not be ready for a 7th grader. I may not be ready for how grown up Megan is. I may not be ready to admit I have a kid in Jr. High. BUT...I am ready to let my giggling girl off into the world of Jr. High to make her own experience. Some of my friends today are friendships I forged in 7th grade. I want for her to find that very same thing. I'll cry a little later when it all hits me. But for right now, I have a giggling 7th grade and that's OK for right now.

First Day of School Picture under the tree.

 


The locker!  
Principal talking with the entire 7th grade...there are 207 of them!
Organizing the Locker
The organized locker...we'll see how long it stays that way.
Having fun at Boot Camp.

First lunch at Jr. High.


Sitting with friends at lunch...already made a new friend! 


No comments:

Post a Comment