My mother-in-law loves me right now but I think she always has...
No one was really worried on Tuesday but I called my best girlfriend and she was watching the fire live. Thank you El for making me realize how serious it was and encouraging me to defy my MIL and go to the forest.
The first list of homes was listed Wednesday afternoon and just as the news was releasing the info, my MIL had just shouted, "Oh, my recipes, I forgot my recipes!" I yelled, "Shhh, they are releasing the list" and her reply was, "What list?"
Frazzled brains, I tell you.
That was the first list and the house was listed safe that day. One of their friends came by moments later and she already knew hers was lost. So what did we do...we fed her. What else can you do?
Then that night, though they really didn't believe their house was safe, they rattled off the list of things they didn't get. My father-in-law, the 3rd most amazing man on earth (behind my husband and my dad) was the most amazing dad & husband. He didn't grab one thing of his for evacuation...not his guns, his motorcycle...I'm not even sure he had extra clothes. He made sure that my MIL and my SIL had what they needed and wanted.
Now to be clear, my in-laws were just pulling out to go camping so they have a week's worth of everything with them...and that's it.
As we began to clear the house, my MIL said she was thinking the whole time (till the last 20 minutes or so), that this was a waste of time. We were going to have to unpack it all later.
Well it wasn't...
All we got was a few family heirlooms.
Somethings that belonged to her mother.
A few photo albums.
Important papers file.
What we didn't get?
Recipes...in her mother's handwriting.
Some valuables.
The address & phone number book. (They have not reached the age of putting all in a cell phone).
Everything else...is just stuff.
Then came Thursday's list and well...the house is gone. I was in a meeting looking at someone else's phone. I had to run to the hallway and just cried. I called my dad. My in-laws are at their house. He was choked up talking to me.
I know it just stuff...but
We have our memories...but
The people are safe...but
The dogs, cat & horses are safe...but
My rehearsal dinner was there. Every Christmas since I was apart of the family was there (and before me was there). My kids learned to sew there and baked cookies there. We ate around that dinning room table for Father's Day, Mother's Day, birthdays, Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas and because is was Tuesday.
They haven't made any decisions. We don't know much right now. They went to the victims's relief center yesterday. They feel better and equipped. They know what to do next...not everything but they have things to do.
BTW...shout out to the victim's relief center & the Waldo Canyon fire people who helped and are helping. You mean a lot to our family right now.
It is all STUFF and really not what it important. But if you are pre-evacuating or on voluntary evacuation, slow down and think for a minute. We only had two hours and that wasn't enough. Get a few of those things that cannot be replaced. The china may be old. The picture may be valuable. But Grandma's handwritten recipes are irreplaceable.
No comments:
Post a Comment