Monday, November 28, 2011

You're like a grandma knitting all the time...

Umm, thanks! This is what a friend said to me recently.

I'm sure some of you have noticed the my Facebook has been rather silent and I haven't blogged in quite some time. Here's the good news, it's because I have found a new love...KNITTING! Yep, that's right, I thought I would get my grandma stuff done early. Then maybe when my kids are grown and out of the house I'll go crazy and do the "young" people stuff, like sky diving and going on a roller coaster tour of the US.

Anyway, I blogged several months ago about knitting. I decided to clean out stuff in my basement that was just taking up space and not being used. I had inherited my mom's knitting stuff and had a little of my own from when she tried to teach me. It was only in a couple small boxes in the corner of my basement, but it wasn't being used. I decided to see if I liked knitting and if not, I was going to get rid of the boxes. So along I started...thank goodness for the internet. I watched the same videos over and over and over. I made 1,000 mistakes and the videos showed me how to fix them. I knitting a scarf. It took FOREVER and looked like a drunken sailor knitted it. I thought for sure there was no way I was ever going to make anything at which you would want to look and certainly not want to wear. But my commitment was 3 scarfs (one for each of the girls). By the 3rd scarf I was off and running. I was looking at patterns online, I had mastered a couple of neat "tricks" and I found out I LOVE IT!

So grandma-ing away, I knit all day. I have found some things I really like to knit. It was amazing to me how big of a community is out there of people that like to knit (and were not grandmas, though I love talking to the grandmas too). I certainly do not have my mom's beautiful perfect stitches, but I have found plenty of patterns that hide that nicely.

I have decided to turn it into a business and will be launching my stuff online at Etsy.com soon. As soon as I do, I will post pics and info here. So here I come. I am a knitting monster!

No comments:

Post a Comment