This year I will be going on the trip to Swaziland, Africa with a group from my church. This will be the 5th and final year our church has committed to short term missions trips to Swazi. Making this decision has been a bit of a roller coaster.
The very first year they went, I did not feel called to go but tried to help others. Each year I have contributed in different ways from helping them take an extra bag of stuff to going to an adult prom. I got my hair cut for a fundraiser and donated an egg casserole for a Swazi breakfast. One year the girls' didn't have gifts at their birthday party but all the guests brought magnadoodles for the schools in Swazi. I have bought little items to support the Go-gos (which mean grandma) and have supported and prayed over others who have gone. Since the very first slide show the church showed us, my heart has been pricked to help this mission.
I knew I was called to go and finally this is my year. In fact, this was a premarital deal. I told Ryan before we got serious that I would be going to Africa in the next couple of years. I needed him to know that this was a calling on my life and that he would be okay with it when it came. He had his concerns then and they are the same now, but he is supporting me completely in amazing ways that words cannot explain.
Over the past several weeks as I approached walking in this decision, there have been several times when it seemed I was not going to be able to go. In fact, Friday afternoon it looked like it wasn't in the cards anymore. Then, by the grace of God, Monday afternoon the doors were opened again. I am going to Swaziland, Africa in June for two weeks.
The planning involved to go is insane. I have grandparents stepping up to help take care of kids while I'm gone (and I feel so blessed to have them). I have so many friends that have already helped just get the beginning things accomplished. Then of course I have kids that are concerned that they are going to go hungry while I'm gone and who is going to feed them, and we can't eat pizza for two weeks and where are we going to go while dad's at work, and...come on kids, like I really didn't have a plan. Take a breath. Then I realize they're freaking out because we have never been apart this long and possibly not even able to talk to me. The longest the girls were ever away from me was this summer, for one week, with their grandparents in FL and they talked to me for 45 minutes every night!
So there have been some hick ups in this process and I'm sure there are some more to come. The kids are worried but excited for me. My parents are helping with kids. My husband is being the most amazing cheer leader ever and is keeping me on track trying to get everything done to go. Now for the hard part...
This trip means there is a lot needed and so I have included the letter that I am sending out to family and friends. I have included it here for those who are in town (trying to save on the postage). I covet your prayers and any support you can give to this cause. Once again, thanks for listening!
Support Letter
So happy you're going! Love the letter. Well done. We'll be praying for you...but we'll send something to help as well.
ReplyDeleteLove you!!!