I don't believe in New Year's Resolutions. Let me rephrase that. I don't believe in resolving to "mend my ways" as the Merriam-Webster dictionary put it. I instead look forward to making goals and most of my goals do not begin at the New Year. I tend not to be the type to wait for a date to start making a difference in my life or other lives. When it is time for change, it's time and January 1st is usually not that time for me.
This year I have one clear goal that began at the beginning of this year and will end on December 31st. As I stated in my last blog, I would like to read the entire Bible this year. Other than that, none of my goals are for 2011 and only 2011. But, nevertheless, I have goals. I have several different goals categories: Spiritual, Personal, Relational, Physical and Financial.
My spiritual goals are almost always the same: 1. Grow closer to God 2. Grow into the woman of God that He has called me to be 3. Invest spiritually into my loved ones (family and friends).
My personal goals include: 1. Blog more 2. Journal privately more consistently 3. Write letters to my loved ones (some I will give them and others I save for the future) 4. Read more 5. Facebook less
My relational goals are mostly considering my core family, but also friends: 1. Be more intentional about relationship 2. Spend quality time with each individual family member (I see a lot of date nights with the kids in the future) 3. Listen 4. Be true and honest (even when it's hard)
My physical goals are not really public but include continuing to go to the gym and work with my trainer...oh and stay at the head of the pack on this summer's hike on vacation (I was at the back of the pack last year).
My financial goals are not public either but do include a personal commitment of NO personal spending for at least 30 days. I'm part way through it and it's tougher than I thought it would be. I also have a personal savings goal with hopes of surprising the family with a fun experience towards the end of the year.
I think putting this out here does a few things. First, I can't forget my goals because I always know where to find them. Second, I can be held accountable by my accountability partners because now they know what my goals are and where to find them. And last, I hope to encourage you to write down your goals whenever you started them for however long they will last. We are probably more likely to meet our goals when we don't forget what they are. And as always, thanks for listening.
No comments:
Post a Comment