So I know back in May I posted that I was signing off of Facebook and saying goodbye. I was being forced to have Timeline and was not a fan.
Well...if you haven't looked, I didn't deactivate. I really just did nothing about it. I took another break from being on Facebook and reevaluated the situation. There are several reasons why I was going to deactivate. My Facebook is more than just my closest friends and family. I really have used it as a social network and have friends, family, friends of family, and those people I knew once upon a time as well as business and school acquaintances and church networks. The truth is it is just impossible to be close with 509 "friends".
I tossed around opening a new Facebook account that was blank. I thought about going through and hiding old posts (I made it through 2008 & most of 2009 and gave up on that venture). I thought about just being done with Facebook.
In the end, my husband (who by the way is not a fan of Facebook at all) and my best friend (who deserted me to move to Texas...I love you Beth), changed my mind. They decided to point out all the pros and discredit all my cons.
In the end, I decided that I have always approached my blog and Facebook the same way. I have always been transparent on both. I do not post inappropriate status messages or pictures. I do not blog about inappropriate things. I have always just been me and let the world see it. With that in mind, I really had nothing of which to be ashamed so no need to "hide" my past from the world.
I also like being able to network and keep up on those I have known, do know and want to know better. If you really don't know me that well, know this...I hate phones! I really am not good at phone calls. I keep up with a few close to me, but other than that, I don't keep up with people on phones. I like personal contact, face to face meetings and one on one time. Facebook gives me the ability to make contact (not on the phone) to invite people to lunch or coffee. Facebook also gives me the ability to keep people up to date without making a million phone calls.
Okay...lots of blah, blah, blah to say I still have a Facebook account. I'm still here. I just took a little break. I really do care about ALL of the people on my Facebook. I know that's hard to believe, but I do. Thanks so much to the many, many people who have encouraged me while I was making this decision and to the dozens who keep encouraging me to blog. The writer's heart that my mom instilled in me at a young age is still here and believe me, I'm going to keep on writing (even if no one reads a single word).
I love and miss you my friend!
ReplyDeleteI love you too. Can't wait for September!!!! It really can't come soon enough!
DeleteI am TOTALLY with you. I considered the same thing, but it is really nice to be able to post pics for friends in GA, or see pics of Jen's daughter's wedding, etc. And, As a youth sponsor for the past 7 years, I am an open book. I don't post anything that i would ever want to hide, seeing as I am friends with about 200 youth group and former youth group kids. Good for you. :)
ReplyDelete