Thursday, June 28, 2012

Bummer of a birthday...can you help me?

So today is my birthday. I am once again turning 28 years young...and will always be 28! My 28th birthday was possibly my best birthday and turned into one of the most defining years of my life thus far. Since then, birthdays have just come and gone. I am not a big birthday person. I do love a party and seeing friends and family but birthdays are just a marker to pass time in my life.

This year, I made absolutely no plans for this special day. I was thinking I might have a special dinner with my hubby and the girls and that's it. Then the week before this birthday was a doozy to say the least.

First, earlier last week, our best friend was in a motorcycle accident. He's okay now but he did have major surgery to fix a broken left femur and broken collar bone. I spent a lot of time at the hospital with his fiancé one of my best friends. She had sat with me years before in the hospital with my late husband. It brought back a lot of memories...some good and some sad. It was a rough week. He is out of the hospital and I just got off the phone with him. I know they have a long trek but he's on the mend. Please pray for them if you think of it. They have months of recovery ahead and hope to have him walking down the aisle to marry his beautiful bride in just under 2 months.

Then Saturday hit and the Waldo Canyon fire was endangering our city. I watched the smoke roll in as I sat at the hospital visiting on Saturday. Obviously a lot has changed since Saturday. It was a forest fire and turned on our city. Many loved ones are evacuated or on pre-evacuation status. Some have lost homes. Some we not able to get to their homes in time and all their possessions and some animals were left behind. Life looked gloomy on Tuesday.

BUT, I just want to say how proud I am of my community. We have joined together and everyone is giving a lot! It's amazing.

This morning, however, I woke up and allowed myself to cry for the first time since the fire happened. If you know me, you know I don't like to cry a lot. I am the strong one. You may also know that I will, in a quiet moment, give into that pain and take time to just let it out. Strange that the day I got there was the morning of my birthday. All I could think is how can I make this a good day.

This is what I want...

I want to donate my birthday to the Waldo Canyon Fire. 

Here's how:

I would love to hear stories from everyone about ways they are helping this community. If you are doing something, have done something or want to do something, will you consider sharing your story with me for my birthday?

I want to hear stories about all types of things. Such as:

  • Financial give to Care & Share or The Red Cross
    • This is a great way for my out of town friends and family to help this community
  • Donating items or time to charities
    • Goodwill is taking donations
    • Care & Share is taking food at their location as well as the World Arena & Walgreens locations
  • Praying in a city wide gathering joining with the community
    • Many local churches are hosting pray meetings around town
  • Taking in evacuees
    • I have heard about some going as far as Littleton and Pueblo
  • Preparing to take in evacuees
  • Helping local evacuation efforts at the 4 Shelters in town
    • Catholic Charities was looking for breakfast items to feed people at Cheyenne Mountain HS as well as volunteers.
  • Give some relief to families of the firefighters you may know
    • Take a meal
    • Make a play date for kids
    • Just don't show up at the fire station to donate (that doesn't help them)
  • Be creative and find little ways to help in any way you can!
  • Have fun and share your stories!

Take pictures and share with me all your stories. I would love a day or week full of stories about how people are reaching out to this amazing community.

You can email me at morrisonmail999@gmail.com or share on my FB page or in a private FB message. You can comment on this page (just know that comments are moderated by me so they don't appear right away).

I would love to compile stories and share a blog in the future of all the ways people have giving to this amazing community. 

Please join me and celebrating my birthday by finding a way to give back! It would be the most amazing gift and might just turn this bummer of a birthday into the best birthday ever!


2 comments:

  1. As usual, you demonstrate just what a terrific (and unusual!!) person you are. Such a thoughtful gesture!! Blessings!! Hope you get enough stories and infor to fill a book!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks... Let me know if there is any stories from your end of the world. I even want to show the world how many are praying for our city!

      Delete