Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Struggling to say goodbye...

So here's the thing...I love to write. I love to blog. I used to love Facebook & all things online...

BUT

It started to create major issues in my life. I found myself spending too much time online. I wasn't getting to "real" life. I thought I had relationships because we were "friends" on Facebook. I would reach out to people on Facebook and get no response. Being I thought we were "friends", I would then get hurt. It felt real. I knew about their lives, their spouses, kids, and jobs. I commented on pictures and looked forward to hearing about their day.

It was mostly false relationship. I was reading the story they presented but wasn't really in their lives. I tried to reach out to specific people with no avail. I wanted to connect face to face or through a phone call or letter and one or two people of hundreds would even reply.

I kept finding myself questioning who I was. Was I a good friend? Did I hurt or offend?

For years now I have been struggling with walking away from the "online world" of Facebook. This is where I landed...

I will have my Facebook account so people can contact me. I will probably not post very often and if you want me  to know something, you'd better inbox, call or text me because I won't be checking Facebook regularly. I've deleted most of my pictures and I'm now going through and deleting my past posts.

I am reclaiming some privacy that I gave away on Facebook. I am connecting personally with the people in my life. I will not be "following" you on Facebook, Twitter or probably anywhere else unless I'm connecting with you face to face or on the phone.

I am most likely turning my blog to password protected. Followers will have access but that's it. I really don't have  much of a following and I really need to know who is looking at my family's pictures, hearing about our latest events and "watching" our lives. If you want to follow me publicly on my blog you will get to hear from me. If you do not, then I hope you are one of the people in my life with whom I connect regularly on a personal level.

I love you all. In today's age of technology it is becoming necessary to protect privacy as much as possible. Thanks for understanding and I hope to hear from you here on this blog.


1 comment:

  1. Just to make sure I don't miss your blogs I am now subscribed by email. ;-) Too much is going on in everyone's lives right now but know that whatever our problems are - we are here for you and love you guys.

    ReplyDelete