Thursday, December 8, 2011

I don't want to be just like you

There are many things that I want for my kids. I want them to be happy, healthy, loved and loving. I want them to experience life and follow God's will for their lives. I want them to be generous and blessed. I want them to be passionate and forgiving. I'm sure everyone reading this is nodding their heads. You may want this for your children or just for yourself. These are values we seek as a human race as well as Christians.

What I don't want for my kids is them to get caught up in the "American Way" of getting the next best thing, keeping up with the Jones and never getting all they WANT. At Christmas, I see this all around us. The TV ads are filled with "selling" my kids on the next greatest and best fad or toy. This gets them  talking about what they want and what their friends want. So I shared with them this week about what I want for them.

I want them to want to give back this month. I gave them lots of examples on the way to school one morning and asked them to each come up with something to give. They all had great answers though at that hour, I think it was a bit difficult. However, I was pleasantly surprised that they shared more ideas with me later that evening. I told them I don't want them to be just like everyone else. I want them to not feel like they are driven by wants. They seem excited to give and have started making lists of things that can give. I told them we would help them with some things they may not be able to do on their own but I have found they have already come up with several things they don't need help accomplishing.

So here's some of the things my kids are going to give or have already given:

-popcorn to share with the class
-white elephant gift
-secret Santa gift
-small gifts for their siblings and grandparents (some purchased & some made)
AND then my favorite:
-MONEY to get uniforms for kids in Rwanda so they can go to school!

I'm sure there will be more. I'm seeing their generous hearts. I am blessed to have wonderful kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment